26 November 2013

Blue Is the Warmest Color, 2013 - ★★★½


The original title "La vie d'Adèle – chapitres 1 & 2" is much more appropriate because Blue is definitely a film of two halves. Whilst watching Chapter 1 I could understand why the film is receiving so much love and praise. It's a great story, beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted.


Chapter 2 was a huge disappointment in terms of both the characters, who didn't appear to have grown at all, and the film making which was dull and predictable. I think I had a different interpretation of what happened but all the interesting things happened in the gap between the chapters and we're just left mopping up the mess. Things do improve and the encounters towards the end of the film start to work again but for me it was too late.


I'm still thinking about the film days later, perhaps not in the way the film makers intended, so perhaps that means it's a better film than I originally thought.


November 26, 2013 at 12:05AM

No comments: