08 December 2013

Oldboy, 2003 - ★★★★


Some may say Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy is pointless but it's achieved one thing by making me want to watch the original again. I'm not especially against remakes; I don't see why somebody else shouldn't have a go, it's unlikely but they may make a better version. However when something is as good and accessible as the original Oldboy it's hard to justify Lee's choice.


Some of the impact may have been lost knowing the eventual outcome (although I struggled to fit my mixed up memories to what was unfolding on screen). It's also less brutal than I remember, although this version may have been edited for television.


I should clarify that I haven't seen the new film, just heard a lot about it and remakes lately. Seeing the bad reception and enjoying the original one so much, I doubt I'll bother.


December 08, 2013 at 11:15PM

No comments: