16 February 2014

The LEGO Movie, 2014 - ★★★½


A huge amount of fun but ultimately disappointing. I'm not sure why I was looking forward to The Lego Movie so much; I can only think that it must be something to do with how much fun the Lego video games are. Or perhaps it's just that Lego is great. Or maybe the chance of mixing up the franchises seemed like such a good opportunity. It's been a relief over the last week or so to see the film so well received and echoes of "not just for kids" everywhere the film is mentioned.


The film (like Lego?) is for everyone. There's so much happening and it's so smartly written that it's hard to imagine somebody couldn't find something to like. It's also so self-referential there's a danger it could twist itself inside out and it could be argued that perhaps it does in a brilliant way towards the end. So why was I left disappointed? Well lots of the good stuff is revealed in the trailer (although thankfully some things have been held back) and little else is done with those cameos. More importantly whilst the story is smart I felt the dialogue could've been better and indeed was better in the City Undercover Wii U game from last year.


Hopefully on a second watch I'll have lowered my expectations and enjoy it all a lot more. Everything is (nearly) awesome.


February 16, 2014 at 07:10PM

No comments: