28 August 2014

Good Morning, Vietnam, 1987 - ★★★★


So many films spring to mind when you think about Robin Williams but for me the one that will always have the strongest association is Good Morning Vietnam. It's not my favourite of his films, it's not even a film I'm that familiar with having perhaps only seen it twice before. When I think of Robin Williams I hear him as Adrian Cronauer because of the soundtrack album. It was one of the first CDs I bought and it's still one that I frequently listen to. All the songs are great but it's William's radio segments between the tracks that I've heard over and over and are firmly lodged in my head. It was a bit of a surprise to find most of the CD segments appear in one of the opening sections of the film, others are edited slightly different but all are so familiar and still funny even though the film isn't really a comedy. Once again it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role and one reason I think that this may be Williams at his best, is that he never slips into mawkishness that unfortunately touched so many of his other roles, even the great ones like Good Will Hunting.


August 28, 2014 at 07:10PM

No comments: