28 December 2014

Zulu, 1964 - ★★★


A problem with many films that are held up as classics is that I've found the fondness for them is often due to nostalgia. This seems especially true for films of a more 'epic' nature and those which are traditionally shown at holidays.


Seeing this for the first time and I didn't really see anything that great. There are good moments and it's great to see so many real extras instead of CG armies. The battle sequences have dated badly and are quite embarrassing, I've seen children playing with sticks appear more authentic. There's also a much bigger problem that the film never gave me any reason to think the British were the "good guys" and it was uncomfortable watching that much slaughter. It always felt like the Zulu side of the story would be much more interesting but I guess that would never happen.


December 28, 2014 at 11:21PM

No comments: