10 November 2015

Victoria, 2015 - ★★★

I think I have a problem with continuous takes, specifically I don't always notice them. I didn't notice in Birdman, I didn't notice in True Detective. I find myself wondering why things are dragging on a bit. Perhaps that should've served as a warning that Victoria wasn't going to impress me.

I can appreciate that shooting an entire film of this complexity in a continuous shot is a huge achievement but that doesn't make it a good film. It's also impressive that a lot of the film was improvised but I didn't know that until after I'd seen the film. So should these things change my opinion of what's really just an average film.

It starts good, Victoria comes across as a strong character but she just get's dumber and dumber as the film progresses. Why did she never just leave? Was the emotional climax really believable after knowing these people for only a few hours. The first half is more enjoyable and believable. The thriller side of things just isn't thrilling apart from one scene which reached the kinetic energy I was expecting throughout the film.

A big disappointment.

November 10, 2015 at 11:41PM

No comments: