04 January 2016

Peter & Wendy, 2015 - ★★½

I was without TV reception or internet over Christmas and I wasn't sure if this would be worth catching up with. The two reviews I found in the press appeared positive but the two other reviews on Letterboxd were negative. I've had an interest in the story of Peter Pan for some time so I decided to give it a go and it probably wasn't worth it. Had it been on in the background over Christmas it may have appealed more but on it's own it quickly became dull. It's a shame because the structure (not dissimilar to Sherlock) works well and the Neverland sequences seem to be incredibly faithful to the very dark story (not that I remember it too well - it's been a few years since I last read it). The problems far outweigh anything good; from the ridiculous decision to badly subtitle Tinkerbell through to the distracting performance of Peter Pan. The only other thing worthy of a mention is the strange televisual oddity of Theis Birk Larsen from The Killing talking to Lydia from Breaking Bad.

January 04, 2016 at 12:00AM

No comments: