10 April 2016

Pitch Perfect 2, 2015 - ★★★★

No, you got too emotionally involved during the finale. I think this is a huge improvement over the already great first film. Fat Amy feels like a real character this time instead of somebody wandering over from a different film. There's none of the unnecessary gross-out humour that soiled moments of the first. The same problems do exist though; it's entirely predictable and many parts of the story make little sense but none of that really matters because it's all so much fun.

A bigger problem is the casual racism, not from the commenters who remain the real highlight but the unfunny, entirely unnecessary, comments made by the new(?)) Guatemalan Bella. The trip to Copenhagen also throws out a bunch of unnecessary stereotypes which just come across as tacky. I had no idea the Danes were supposed to have an obsession with eating fish and I've been to Copenhagen. It's more disappointing because the Danish Birgitte Hjort Sørensen plays the leader of a rival German group and could've had a word with somebody. Speaking of Sørensen, I was left almost as confused as Beca as that's not my Borgen's Katrine and it was disappointing that what could have been the only non-obvious plot point was just left hanging (surely the boyfriend hardly featured for a reason).

I enjoyed it a lot and the finale did move me (although I did wonder if that clap routine would be audible on a festival stage). One of the legitimate uses of Letterboxd Like heart, although I was also considering giving it more than 4 out of 5.

April 10, 2016 at 05:10PM

No comments: