24 November 2017

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, 2017 - ★★★★

When I saw this in the LIFF2017 programme it didn't really stand out. I got a ticket to see it but only because there wasn't anything else on at the time. In the end I didn't make the screening but I was surprised to find out that it jumped to the top of the audience favourites where it remained until the festival's closing film Three Billboards... eventually took the top spot. It went on general release during the festival and more positive reviews appeared so it seemed like this should be one to catch up with and despite all of this I still didn't feel particularly motivated to make the trip to see it. Obviously I changed my mind and I'm glad I did,.

It's easy to see why it scored so highly, from the title and setup it's obvious that this is going to be an emotional journey. One lot of heartbreak seems inevitable, it soon become apparent there's another sad story to be told and the way these two tales come together is incredibly moving. There's more sadness along the way but ultimately this is a film about love and it felt good to be reminded how strong that can be.

November 24, 2017 at 07:01PM

No comments: