02 April 2018

Ghost Stories, 2017 - ★★★★

I'd heard very good things about the play on which this is based and so my expectations were fairly high. I assume on stage they made use of writer/director/star Andy Nyman's background in magic to deliver impressively clever scares in real time but on film the stories don't feel that special and just come across as 'movie magic' we've all seen before.

So the individual stores may not be that great but I was always intrigued by how they were all connected and how everything would come together. I spotted an early sleight of hand which meant I had some idea that nothing was quite as it seemed but this perhaps added more rather than detract anything. Now I keep remembering things (the car reflection, the movement in the attic, the photo) which make much more sense once you know what is going on so I suspect it will be a film that stands up to repeated viewing and discoveries.

April 02, 2018 at 10:15AM

No comments: