10 February 2015

Big Hero 6, 2014 - ★★★


Baymax is one of the greatest characters of modern cinema; incredibly funny, charming and just a pure delight to watch. It's such a shame that this wonderful character is let down by such a weak and predictable story. I had no idea that it was based on Marvel comics but it should've been obvious when the climax features a strange entity in the sky destroying everything below (seriously this has to stop now).


I need a term to describe when there's a plot point that I don't believe and prevents me from accepting the rest of the film. This was my biggest problem with this story. If it had been a magical fantasy in the style of Ghibli (which seems like a strong influence) rather than implausible science I'd have bought in to the proceedings a lot more than I did. Instead I was left with nagging questions about the practicalities of it all.


Whenever Baymax is on screen it's such a wonderful experience and I don't remember the last time I laughed as much. So perhaps not Big Hero 6 but definitely Big Hero 1.


February 10, 2015 at 11:34PM

No comments: