07 June 2015

True Romance, 1993 - ★★★★½

With the video release of Reservoir Dogs held up by the BBFC it was True Romance that was my first introduction to Tarantino. At a time when I was really getting into film it felt important to me and feels familiar although that is probably more to do with the screenplay which was given away with a film magazine at the time.

More than 20 years later this still feels like Tarantino's film but it looks like a Tony Scott one. That's not necessarily a bad thing but the 80s style direction does frequently hold back the forward thinking vision of Tarantino's voice that would go on to redefine cinema.

Great performances, great actors, funny, action packed, wonderful costumes and music. I can't help but wonder how the non-linear script would have turned out but to quote Marty McFly "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it."

June 07, 2015 at 09:43AM

No comments: