04 August 2015

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 1989 - ★★★★

For a long time The Last Crusade was my favourite Indiana Jones adventure. This was mostly because I was 12 when it came out, not that I remember seeing it in the cinema. I do remember @boysmithers telling me all about it in the cloakrooms one breaktime. I also have fond memories of the 8-bit computer game and a tie-in book (which may have been the story or a making of - possibly both).

When I last saw the trilogy Last Crusade was a big relief after the disappointment of Temple Of Doom, this time around I skipped the middle film and perhaps that was part of the reason why it didn't feel as great. It's still good but never feels magically like the first film did. I've read a few things lately about the making of Jaws and Raiders that left me with the impression that Spielberg was a director who did go too far and needed to be reined in and that's something that didn't happen here. There are (far too) many ridiculous moments that just make no sense and in the past I'd happily overlook but on this viewing the just chipped away at the enjoyment. I was reminded of all the nit-picking reviews of Jurassic World, a film I really enjoyed and had no problem overlooking the flaws. Sometimes I feel you just need to be in the right mood to experience and enjoy a film and when that isn't happen it's too easy to be critical.

August 04, 2015 at 10:45PM

No comments: