03 August 2015

The Railway Children, 1970 - ★★★

I didn't expect to say this but The Railway Children is one of the weirdest films I've seen recently. I know it's loved by many and I have vague recollections of watching and enjoying it as a child but watching it today it's apparent how all over the place the film really is. Perhaps something is taken away by knowing how old Agutter and Thomsett were and the much repeated tale of them sneaking off to a night club during filming.

The story is just a collection of moments that jump around in an almost haphazard way. Things happen without reason and that beloved ending makes next to sense. A piece of the time it was filmed and also written, it's hard to imagine today's children appreciating it but there didn't seem to be any complaints from the largely family based audience.

It's still charming in a quaint way but for me it was an odd experience this time around.

August 03, 2015 at 09:41PM

No comments: