18 September 2016

Captain Fantastic, 2016 - ★★★½

A film I liked enough to forgive its flaws but was flawed enough to prevent me from loving it. Earlyish there's a scene featuring Noam Chomsky's which didn't make much sense. It may have just been bad editing but it stood out and could just be labelled a mistake without doing any damage. Towards the end of the film there's another scene that could also be badly edited but it may also be deliberately trying to set up some ambiguity, however because of the earlier mistake it ends up just being a distraction; was it deliberate or just poor film making. On reflection I don't think there was supposed to be any ambiguity to the ending but I can't help feeling the film would have been stronger if that had been the case.

The whole film looks great, all the performances are engaging and there a quite a few great musical moment including one of the best scenes of the year when a cop comes on the bus. I also really like the final scene which is odd because it's the type of thing I usually have a big problem with.

September 17, 2016 at 11:34PM

No comments: