27 September 2016

Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 2016 - ★★★★

One of my most anticipated films of the year so my expectations were high and I really wish they had been met but it didn't all quite come together. That's not to say the film isn't a complete joy because it wonderfully manages lots of big laughs and at it's heart has an emotional story that really works. In a different mood (or if the most of the punchlines hadn't been in the trailer) perhaps I would have been laughing as much as the rest of the cinema at the earlier broader humour.

I'm not sure what the problems are and why it felt like it didn't work as well as it should. It definitely feels longer than the fairly brief running time and there are definitely far too many helicopter/drone shots of the bush. Overall it just feels like it's lacking something to make it truly majestical.

September 27, 2016 at 11:03PM

No comments: