01 November 2016

It Follows, 2014 - ★★★★

With a live score arranged by Emma-Jean Thackray

It was always the soundtrack I liked the most about It Follows so it was great to get the opportunity to see it performed live. I was nervous if an orchestral arrangement would work but it absolutely did and hope it might be available as a recording someday. Seeing (hearing?) the music performed live really highlighted how many quiet moments there are in the film which was strange after listening to the soundtrack so much.

I felt more or less the same way about the film on this second viewing. The opening didn't feel as strong as I remembered but the rules and story made more sense. There are still a number of annoying things (nudity, hair pulling, the roof) which I still think damage the film and wish they weren't there, however this remains one of the best recent horror films.

The film was preceded by a Q&A with composer Disasterpeace.

November 01, 2016 at 06:47PM

No comments: