25 November 2016

Joy, 2015 - ★★★★

Joy was the first film I saw in the cinema this year, I really liked it back then and as a result it's been hovering around the top of my best films of the year list. Everytime I look at the list I keep thinking was Joy really that good or is it's position just a result of how I add things to the list (add at the bottom and move it up if it's better than than the previous entry). When I saw it was available to watch on NowTV I thought I'd give it another go and I was surprised to find how much I still like it. As I said back in January it may not be a great film but it is a collection of great scenes. This time I kept thinking it was skating around the edge of brilliance but never quite getting there. There is so much to like and if it hadn't been for the epilogue I'd be tempted to give it 5 stars.

November 25, 2016 at 11:50PM

No comments: