21 December 2016

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, 2016 - ★★★½

For a lot of the running time I thought I was going to be joining the small group of people who haven't liked this film. I kept thinking is this really from the director of Monsters and Godzilla, the latter which I enjoyed a lot more than most people. I'd seen some headlines about the third act and assumed this meant it suffered from the usual third act problems and so I'd thought I'd be writing off the experience. Fortunately that was not the case and it's the third act which really makes this film, it's good enough to almost forget how dull I found the first parts of the film.

I think I was just bored and not entirely following what was going on (or foolishly on my part, not remembering when this was set). The 3D conversion was much more distracting than any of the CGI characters (blurred lighting, strange depth focus) and apart from the scenes in the archive tower offer no enhancement. I look forward to seeing the film in 2D and like The Force Awakens suspect I may enjoy it more. The format is unlikely to help the ropey (intentionally so?) dialogue but having a better understanding of what's happening and how it plays out may make the setup more enjoyable.

So I ended up enjoying myself, it's great having a dark mainstream film and it's nice to see a known universe used for something a bit different. K-2SO is by far the best thing in the entire film and I hope that on a second viewing I can find more to appreciate in the long setup to the finale.

December 21, 2016 at 01:36PM

No comments: