03 June 2014

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986 - ★★★½


I can't remember when I first saw Ferris Bueller and whilst I remember liking the film, I've never held it in as high regard as some people. It's still easy to see how seeing the film at a certain point in your own life will have an impact on how much you subsequently enjoy it. Nearly 30 years later, it's not the 80s setting that surprised but how scattershot and largely insignificant most of the film is. It's still fun but let's face it, Bueller is a little shit, and this time I was more on the side of the sister and even Rooney.


As we sat down to watch Boysmithers asked if this got a dark at the end. It's not how I remembered but Cameron's story does go to dark places and it's only this part that provides the heart and depth that I remember from Hughes' other teen movies.


So I do understand why it is so well loved but I think John Hughes made better films (although I'm unsure if I want to rewatch those and find out I've just become a grumpy old man).


June 03, 2014 at 09:14PM

No comments: