12 November 2014

Bird People, 2014 - ★★★★½


Right from the start I liked Bird People a lot but thought it would be lacking that certain something to make it really special. I needn't have worried because what eventually happens is so remarkable and completely unexpected it takes everything to a different level.


If I'm completely honest it doesn't always work and some of those later scenes drag on a little too long. When it is working though it's magical and I applaud the intention over the execution.


The performance in those scenes is amazing and deserves a new award category to be fully recognised.


Interestingly enough earlier in the day I had two minor encounters with birds which I can't help but wonder if they influenced my take on the film. The first was a single pigeon sat atop an out of order vending machine inside the train station, he looked so pleased with himself as he watch the tail of commuters pass by. I wanted to take a photo but didn't. The second was a small flock of birds chirping away and flying from tree to tree around Millenium Square right before I went to The Light to watch the film.


Best discovery of #LIFF28 so far, I already had high expectations for What We Do In The Shadows and Tusk.


November 12, 2014 at 11:37PM

No comments: