01 November 2014

Drive, 2011 - ★★★


Radio 1 Rescore


I've been meaning to rewatch Drive for quite some time. On my first viewing I wasn't as impressed as everybody else but it was a film that stuck with me and I thought I should like more. Part of the reason I couldn't shake the film was the soundtrack, which I subsequently bought and adds an extra dimension to supermarket shopping (or anything else).


This version was rescored by Zane Lowe and featured music from The 1975, Bastille, CHVRCHES, Foals and many others. The reaction on Twitter was odd, the majority of people seemed to hate it (why mess with perfection?) but there was always someone praising the new music. Many noted that even if they didn't like the new score the experiment was interesting to show how music can change the film. My problem was that I didn't think the music did change the film. Apart from the lift scene (Laura Mvula?) I thought all the choices worked well and were never a distraction. The original score had an eighties feel whereas this felt modern. Although I've listened to the original soundtrack many times I don't know how it fits to the film and it was those who were more familiar that noticed the difference. So I'm left thinking that it's the original soundtrack that is great and not the film which still failed to overly impress (although I still do feel like I should like it more).


It's also the first time I can remember choosing to watch a film as it was broadcast on TV and that's something.


November 01, 2014 at 11:14AM

No comments: