04 January 2015

Around the World in Eighty Days, 1956 - ★★★★½


So I finally find an epic film that I really enjoy and then discover that most people seem to hate it. The film is perfectly bookmarked by a wonderful opening utilising Méliès A Trip To The Moon and credits animated by Saul Bass. The rest of the film really is epic, never have I desired to see a film on a big a screen as possible as I did whilst watching this on TV. Perhaps it is too long but as someone who usually complains about the length of films I didn't really notice and thought the length only made it feel more like an epic journey. Even just as a sequence of visually stunning set pieces it would still be great, but the story is also strong with great characters and a series of entertaining cameos.


January 04, 2015 at 12:48AM

No comments: