12 January 2015

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, 2013 - ★★½


After the disappointment of the first film and the understanding this was an improvement I was expecting to like this, but it turns out that it's just more of the same. Looking back at my review of the first film I claimed that things made little sense and although there are some attempts to recap the story early on the bigger problem of the entire set up not making sense remains. I still don't understand why the revolution hasn't happened yet. I don't know how The Games are supposed to work and keep the population under control. If The Games are supposed to be this horrendous thing how are we supposed to feel as the film's audience when half the film is devoted to presenting us the entertainment of Katniss partaking in The Games.


The whole world feel ridiculous and this is highlighted more when Philip Seymour Hoffman turns up in his civvies (perhaps the character dresses like that in the books but I prefer to think of PSH turning up and saying "I'm not wearing that"). It does look like everybody is having fun making the film but everything defies all logic and if you don't get on board it's so easy to start picking holes in everything.


As soon as it starts to get interesting everything is rushed and then cut short for the next film which is almost as infuriating as when the dodgy CGI monkeys turn up.


I'm struggling to justify spending more time with this franchise but I'd still like to see that revolution happen, just like I was 10 minutes into the first film.


January 12, 2015 at 11:04PM

No comments: