04 January 2015

Playtime, 1967 - ★★★


It's difficult not to admire the craftsmanship behind Playtime, the film always looks fantastic and the precision and attention to detail is amazing. The film starts in a slightly surreal way and becomes more and more chaotic, the chaos starts off entertaining is frequently amusing and occasionally laugh out loud funny but along the way gets messier and messier. By the restaurant scenes I'd really lost interest and found most of the humour passing me by. Every positive review I've seen, states how multiple viewings are required to take everything in, so perhaps I was always focussed on the least interesting part. I would agree there is too much to fully absorb in one viewing but as the film felt stretched out over two hours I can't see myself ever returning. All of the best moments are in the trailer (which also lessened their impact) so perhaps I'll just watch that on a loop instead.


A shame.


January 04, 2015 at 06:52PM

No comments: