31 March 2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, 2016 - ★★★

Well it's not a bad film but it is a film full of bad moments. Pointless, incoherent, badly written scenes that should have been left on the editing room floor (or kept for trailers for upcoming films). If films still came on reels, there was more than one occasion when I'd have assumed they were being shown in the wrong order. It's never entirely clear what is a flashback, dream, hallucination or reality and perhaps that's partly deliberate but it ends up just being incoherent.

Despite my dislike of long films I never really got bored during the excessive running time. The climactic battle is another pointless run-in with a CGI creation but also delivers one of the most satisfying moments in the film. There's lots to like throughout, I'm sure everybody will agree on Affleck and Gadot but I think I'm in a minority who also loved Eisenberg as a psychopathic Zuckerberg-like Luthor. It's just a shame that all the good moments are broken up by terrible or pointless moment but I found myself just sighing, rolling back my eyes and continuing to enjoy the next part of the film.

The biggest problem I keep questioning is how much better this would have been without the trailers. It would be easy to argue that the trailers are better than the final film (especially when edited together in chronological order youtu.be/K3rHg57OhDg). Do all the terrible moments in the film stand out so much because we're already familiar with all the good bits from the trailers? Should Wonder Woman and Doomsday have been left to be revealed in the film? Perhaps all those jarring non sequitur would have been better suited as stand alone moments in teasers and trailers. Of course we'll never know now but I can't help think that they've done more damage than good.

March 31, 2016 at 09:45PM

No comments: