13 March 2018

Annihilation, 2018 - ★★★★

Yes I'm annoyed that I can't see this in the cinema. At home it was good but the final act deserves so much more than the living room can ever provide and if I'd experienced it in a cinema then it could have been a 5 star experience.

Digital distribution is supposed to make it easier to exhibit films. I don't understand why this couldn't get a limited release and also be available on Netflix. I believe there are plenty of people who would still pay to see it especially if it was a one-night only event screening. I'm glad it's on Netflix so more people will see it and I can watch it again but it deserves more. Netflix, cinemas and distributors need to sort out their issues so people can see content how they want to see it and why not premiere new Netflix TV shows in cinemas?

As for the film, for me it was all about the climax which took everything to another level. Before that I was unsure where it was going (in a good way) but glad I was along for the ride. Frequently incredibly beautiful, often strange and with a depth that is so often lacking. I think there is more to appreciate on subsequent viewings and that's one reason why I am pleased it is on Netflix.

March 13, 2018 at 05:37PM

No comments: