01 March 2018

Trophy, 2017 - ★★★★

I wasn't sure if I should watch this because I'd heard it might just make me angry. It is mostly a quite balanced film trying to convey the views from all sides of a complex issue. However my problem was with those people with whom I most strongly disagreed. Of course I was never going to agree with them but at two points they present such pathetic and misguided justifications for what they do and then have the audacity to say anyone who disagrees is an idiot. That's when I got angry. It's not just a case of disagreeing, it's more that there is no logical or sane argument to be made. They are killers, what they are doing is a disgusting display of humanity and the fact they are proud of what they do only makes matter worse.

Watching it so close to the Parkland shootings only highlighted that this mentality is much bigger than the issues covered in the film and I can only hope that this time things are going to start to change.

Rant over. It's a shame the film couldn't present an intelligent argument for these people (perhaps because there isn't one) because the other groups all make valid points for what they do.

This was the 90 minute Storyville edit shown on TV and not the longer version released in cinemas.

March 01, 2018 at 05:23PM

No comments: