08 March 2018

The Shape of Water, 2017 - ★★★★

I'm pretty amazed that this won the Best Picture Oscar, not because it didn't deserve it (although it wouldn't have been my choice) but because it's so far from what I think an "Oscar film" is.

The film didn't completely work for me. I admired it a lot and wanted to like it more but tonally I thought it was all over the place. Perhaps I'm becoming prudish as I get older but there didn't seem to be any need for so much sex, nudity and gore. Without those things I think it would have worked better and felt more magical. The main romance is believable but also seems to come out of nowhere and feels very under developed. It all looks and sounds fantastic though and the attention to detail is pretty spectacular. It does feel like another film that may get better on repeated viewings because there is a lot of depth to just about every aspect.

March 08, 2018 at 06:44PM

No comments: