21 October 2015

Back to the Future Part II, 1989 - ★★★★ (contains spoilers)

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

When I found out my local cinema was showing BTTF2 I just welcomed the opportunity to see the film on the big screen. I didn't realise that Back To The Future Day was going to be such a big deal. It was a full house at the cinema which I wasn't really expecting. Nor was I expecting the moment they arrived on 21st October 2015 to be such a special and unique moment, eliciting cheers and whoops from the audience. A round of applause at the end felt like the right thing , broken up with more laughter for the concluding in 1990 caption.

As for the film, it may be the weakest in the trilogy (I now need to find time to watch Part III) but it's also the one with all the timey-wimey stuff that is such a fundamental part of the series. The problem with going to the future (technically now our past) is that it starts to date the The first film felt effortlessly smart, Part II always feels like it's trying to hard to hit the same beats but never quite succeeds. Once the action returns to 1955 things pick up a lot and it feels back on par with the first film. The way the final part is introduced is so well structured throughout the entire film but really comes together in the final moments. It's not surprising that I can still remember the moment when I initially saw the cliffhanger in the cinema and couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next.

October 21, 2015 at 11:17PM

No comments: