07 October 2015

The Walk, 2015 - ★★★½

The mixed reviews meant I wasn't sure if I really wanted to see The Walk but I figured if I was going to see it I may as well go and see it in Imax 3D. It's only fair because it was the 3D trailer that made it look like a rare film that actually benefited from stereoscopy. The 3D is really effective and I was surprised to find myself wanting more. It's a shame that there were no full screen Imax sequences, especially as the Imax release was a week earlier (all these different formats are getting quite confusing now). All the visually wizardry creates actual special effects which are used to compliment a story but they still feel very much like a theme park ride.

The story is engaging and manages to capture Petit's charm not only in the performances (the accents never bothered me) but also the overall feel of the entire film. I'm still not sure if things would be as spectacular in 2D but in 3D I couldn't wait to get to the next sequence climaxing in the titular walk in a most satisfying way.

October 07, 2015 at 08:40PM

No comments: