18 October 2015

Interstellar, 2014 - ★★★★★

My third viewing of Interstellar, this time in 70mm as part of Bradford's Widescreen Weekend. My first time was the Imax version and I was blown away. Seeing the regular 35mm version shortly after lacked some of that spectacle but was still a great film. A year later and it was this version that had the most impact on me. I still think the Imax version looks a lot better, I'm probably not supposed to say this but I don't always like how film looks on modern movies and would have preferred the digital sharpness here.

This time it was the content of the film that worked so well for me. I remember others talking about the drive before the launch and this was the first time that scene really worked me (as opposed to working for me). That was the first time it felt like some of the dust from those storms had escaped the screen and got into my eye. There are at least three other scenes that have a similar emotional depth.

Only a year old so it's probably too soon to judge how well the film will age but I'm struggling to see how it will ever feel old.

Followed by Visual Effects for 70mm Filmmaking with Paul Franklin

October 18, 2015 at 11:10PM

No comments: