04 October 2015

Macbeth, 2015 - ★★★

A magnificent opening only raised my expectations higher which were then never really satisfied until a similar wonderful finale. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood to appreciate Shakespeare but I found most of this version dull, plodding along without any urgency and just ticking of the key points of the story and performances.

The Scottish accents (although at one point Cotillard sounds Australian - although her real accent is all over the place), Shakespearean language and possibly bad sound design made it difficult to follow, even though this is perhaps the Shakespeare play I know the best. It feels too theatrical despite all the beautiful outdoor shots which ultimately serve no purpose and quickly become repetitive - look some more hills.

I appear to be alone in my disappointment and perhaps it's because I expected more. I thought these were the actors and director who could make a great, accessible, cinematic version of the scottish play.

October 04, 2015 at 10:43AM

No comments: