24 March 2014

Gravity, 2013 - ★★★★


It's quite rare for me to watch a new film more than once (Nolan appears to be the exception to the rule) but there were two reasons I wanted to see Gravity again. Firstly when I saw the film in the cinema I said it would be a great test for any any AV equipment and I hadn't really tried out my home cinema. Secondly I was curious how different the film would be in 2D. Without the distraction/spectacle/spectacles of 3D I noticed how much beauty there was in the film which I didn't remember so much from the cinema screen. I also noticed how much more accomplished all of the special effects were and not just things floating towards the viewer. The best special effects are the ones you don't notice and there are no joins here, probably because apart from the actors so little of it is real to start with.


On the smaller screen (or perhaps just on subsequent viewings) the problems with the dialogue and badly written characters are much more obvious. I wish they'd gone down the All Is Lost route instead of having people talking (badly) to themselves when alone. Without that dialogue I'd probably have given Gravity a 5 start rating because it is such a great experience and unlike anything else.


flawed characters obvious flaws with the script stand out even more. After seeing All Is Lost how I wish the second half of Gravity


March 24, 2014 at 06:57PM

No comments: