06 March 2014

The Godfather: Part III, 1990 - ★★★★½


I'm just going to come out and say it, this is my favourite Godfather film. It's what I thought when I first saw the trilogy properly on DVD a few years back and I thought my older and wiser self may have come to my senses, but no. I may not be alone in my views, Roger Ebert apparently rated Part III higher than Part II, although later updated his opinion.


Part III builds on everything in the previous films and without them it would be nothing. It's the only film where the women get a significant role which is something that felt severely lacking in the earlier chapters. The plot feels far fetched but is based on true events so it's hard to hold that against the script. Sofia Coppola really isn't that bad, her awkward performance fits the character perfectly. Where the other films were slow this zips along and comes to an end long before any clock watching of the previous films. And the ending is just fantastic, all of the opera sequence is simply amazing and then Michael's final scenes are a perfect conclusion to the story. I wish the film had been released as "The Death Of Michael Corleone", perhaps then it would have been better received by those who hold the previous parts in such high regard.


March 06, 2014 at 11:58AM

No comments: