06 March 2014

Vertigo, 1958 - ★★★★


The screenings of films from each decade of the Alhambra's centenary continue with the new "Greatest Film Of All Time". I was pleased when it knocked Citizen Kane off the top spot in Sight and Sounds poll. Citizen Kane is a great film but it's one that's easier to admire rather than enjoy, Vertigo on the other hand I thought might be able to do both. The problem is that I don't think Vertigo is Hitchcock's best film, nor do I think it's James Stewart's best work so I have to question it's position at the top of the poll. Of course it is still great but it also feels quite dated, the garish colours of the 50s not helping (this might have been just the version I saw). The story feels like it could easily fall apart without much poking. Knowing the twist and turns doesn't detract anything and it remains an enjoyable and compelling watch.


March 06, 2014 at 11:16AM

No comments: