16 March 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014 - ★★★


I've always liked Wes Anderson's films and whilst I've never held his work in as high regard as some, Moonrise Kingdom was my favourite film of 2012. Loving the trailer and knowing The Grand Budapest Hotel was being praised by some as Anderson's best film my expectations were perhaps too high. It's hard to imagine anybody else making a film like Anderson (the words "A Film By Wes Anderson" perhaps being the most redundant words to ever appear in a trailer). There's no denying that the entire film looks amazing with an unbelievable attention to detail and a mixture of styles (and aspect ratios). But however hard I tried I just couldn't make a connection, the film lacked any charm and left me cold. The oddly placed moments of violence and bad language were distracting, although I did eventually find Gustave's expletives amusing. I found myself nodding approvingly, admiring the effort but never really enjoying the experience which is a terrible shame.


March 16, 2014 at 09:06PM

No comments: