03 March 2015

Difret, 2014 - ★★★★½


When the poster quote stated that Difret was "A movie that could lead to change. Everyone should watch it" I took it with a pinch of salt especially as the quote was from Angelina Jolie who is one of the producers. However I don't think I've seen another film where I thought so strongly that everybody should see it. I had no idea about the subjects that are covered and solely as an educational piece the film is so informative. The story is also incredibly compelling and it's inspirational watching the lawyers in action throughout the developments. It's a shame that the towards the end of the film there's a jump "6 months later" to a court case which is portrayed in the most conventional way imaginable and really sucks the life out of the film. Up until those final scenes I was incredibly impressed but then I left feeling let down. Having had some time to think about it, the weak ending doesn't really detract from the powerful message of the rest of the film but it's still a shame it doesn't go out on a high.


March 03, 2015 at 06:10PM

No comments: